The NIS Senior Leadership Team acknowledges the educational validity of work assigned to pupils for completion inside the classroom as an adjunct and extension of the instructional program of the school.
The ADO shall develop regulations for the assessment of work according to these guidelines:
- Assessments should be a properly planned part of the curriculum, extending and reinforcing the learning experience of the school;
- Assessments should help develop the student’s responsibility and provide an opportunity to practice the protocols of assessment conduct;
- The number, frequency, and degree of difficulty of assessments should be based on the ability and needs of the students and take into account the standards/skills required for the students to master;
- As a valid educational tool, the product of assessments should be carefully evaluated and that evaluation should be reported to the student; and
- Assessments should always serve a valid learning purpose; it should never be used as a punitive measure.